No Friend of the Constitution
Posted by Lurch on November 29, 2006 • Comments (11)TrackBack (0)Permalink

Newt Gingrich, the disgraced ex-Speaker of the House, who was required to resign under three clouds of scandal, signaled his willingness to continue Mr Bu$h’s plan of destroying the US Constitution on Monday. Speaking at a Manchester, New Hampshire awards dinner Mr Gingrich said that it may be necessary to destroy the Constitution in order to save it.

Did we say “willingness’? Perhaps a better description is “eagerness.”

NEWT GINGRICH ®, FORMER HOUSE SPEAKER: My (INAUDIBLE) view is that either before we lose a city, or if we are truly stupid after we lose a city, we will adopt rules of engagement that we use every technology we can find to break up their capacity to use the Internet, to break up their capacity to use free speech, and to go after people who want to kill us, to stop them from recruiting people before they get to reach out and convince young people to destroy their lives while destroying us.

Why is it always Republicans who want to limit freedoms? Some people would say that Mr Gingrich was fairly salivating with anticipation as he described to need to shut down the internet before some unnamed people who “want to kill us” cause us to lose a city.

Because, of course, we wouldn’t want the smoking gun to be a smoking city. And heaven knows the Republicans have no idea whatsoever how to protect our borders, ports, and airports, or they would surely have done so, no? So the obvious answer is to prevent people from talking to one another.

Perhaps Mr Gingrich wasn’t referring to “the terrorists” but rather people who just oppose the elitism, corruption, criminality, greed, misogyny, and racial and religious discrimination which is so rampant in the Republican Party today? If that were the case one can easily understand why clamping down on the internet would be a good way to preserve the Republican Way of Life.

Ironically, Mr Gingrich was speaking at a dinner honoring Freedom of Speech. Cancel that. Any man who would ask a wife in a hospital bed dying of cancer for a divorce is incapable of understanding irony if it bit him in his wallet.

The Keith Olbermann show featured a video clip of some of Mr Gingrich’s remarks, complete with still shots of facial grimaces appropriate for a great leader and statesman regretfully explaining why the chocolate ration has been raised to 20 grams. This clip can be found at the always reliable Crooks & Liars, along with a brief discussion between Mr Olbermann and the Constitutional expert Jonathan Turley.

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

Posted by: wkmaier at November 29, 2006 04:16 PM

Lurch,

Is it possible, that the Republican/conservative rollercoaster is heading downtrack, picking up speed, for the eventual and fervently-hoped-for crackup that leads to it's total destruction??

Let's keep only good thoughts...

Posted by: Lurch at November 29, 2006 07:33 PM

One can only hope, WK, although P.T. Barnum. who said "There's a sucker born every minute" was a Republican.

Posted by: Mike at November 30, 2006 02:54 PM

WK / Lurch, no doubt Gingrich has a finger to the wind and thinks there are still enough die hard Bushies runnin' loose to find an audience for that B.S. I notice "adjust" has become the new word of choice for "screw with". Somewhat related: George Will's column today in the WP (sorry, Lurch) taking Jim Webb to task, calling him a "boor" and "without civility" for Webb's standing up to Bush at a WH reception for new electees. I should dig back through Will's column's to see his take on Cheney telling Leahy to "go fuck yourself" - this administration has no standing to denounce anyone else's civility or perceived lack thereof.
781 days to go. Mike

Posted by: Lurch at November 30, 2006 03:03 PM

Mike, you're right. Gingrich obviously has damaged his mind with too much hair-growing on his palms.

I read much of Will's column. (No reason to apologize.) The man is a Beltway insider and therefore has no fucking clue what is going on in the United States. I do NOT advocate armed rebellion. It's just wrong, as well as being illegal, but I do enjoy the occasional fantasy of leading one of the retribution squads that cleans up all these babblehead assholes in the print and electronic media. Rope. Tar. Pillows. And lots of ammo.

Posted by: wkmaier at November 30, 2006 03:07 PM

Mike and Lurch,

Will's column was taken apart today by any number of bloggers. Go to any one on the blogroll here and click away. ;-) Personally, I gave up on Will (and Cal Thomas) years ago.

Lurch,

There aren't any Fantasy Police.... yet!

Posted by: Mike at November 30, 2006 04:00 PM

Lurch, the tarring & feathering (verbal at least) is in progress on line at WaPo - many, many folks are commenting on the column and I didn't see one favorable comment.
But yes, it is fun to think of how one might render a reality check to the George Wills of the world. I would love to see him stripping tobacco or mining coal back home - even better, let him see his house slide down a hill side and his water fouled from mountain top removal mining - sorry, I'll arrest that rant for now. Mike

Posted by: Lurch at November 30, 2006 04:41 PM

Mike, now and then I go and look at blogotariat comments on WaPo (I do read it, I just despise Fred Hiatt.) I rarely see any complimentary comments to any of the political/social commentary columns, and I always wonder whether these fools read what people write back to them. If they do read the responses, are they such arrogant beasts that they think the entire country is out of step? Or is it merely a case of cranking out this swill because that's the only way for them to keep their seats at the banquet table?

Posted by: Mike at November 30, 2006 05:02 PM

Lurch, one of my other little fantasies (price of getting old is having fantasies like THIS...) would be to see the dang Feddle Gummint dispersed from DC and Northern Virginia. Send Treasury to Illinois and HHS to Arizona and Commerce to Alabama, etc where real people live. Then hire said real people to do the work instead of these narcissistic jokers that gravitate to DC. Won't happen in my lifetime, but it's good to contemplate.
By the way, several of the comments on the G. Will piece accuse him of being a metrosexual. I always wondered what a metrosexual looked like. Guess they can be identified by their well-sprayed hair and bow tie.
Mike

Posted by: Lurch at November 30, 2006 08:27 PM

Nice idea, Mike. But would said nice people end up as regional insiders within a few years? It used to be that with our form of government policy jobs changed hands with elections, but the functionaries kept right on going. Question for you: Are we better off with a professional bureaucry and politically appointed policymakers?

I never really understood what a "metrosexual"man was other (apparently) waxing his eyebrows. I must have heard that wrong, surely. Out here in JEB! Bu$h's 19th century we're not exactly on the cutting edge of social normative behavior.

Posted by: Mike at December 1, 2006 08:13 AM

Lurch, you're right. But I'd like to see the Feddle Gummint "refreshed" for want of a better word, and I believe physical distance between bureaus and from DC would be a good thing.
My last assignment as an "E" was at NSA - pre-wiretapping, thank God - and I was not at all impressed with the pettiness and laziness and backstabbing of the civil servants there. Saw nothing to like about the whole greater DC area and my greatest achievement as an "O" was to never have set foot in the Pentagon. If you're surmising that Mikey don't like the so-called National Capitol Region and denizens thereof, you're right.
Think I'll go get some more coffee.
Mike

Posted by: Lurch at December 1, 2006 12:24 PM

I don't have much positive to add, Mike. The short bit of time I spent in the MDW area while in the Army did not impress me, either.